Dental implants are a way for you to have natural looking teeth – and the luxury of being able to eat the foods you enjoy. Implants can also offer people an alternative to dentures or bridgework that doesn’t fit very well. However, one question tends to come up. “How many doctors will I need for dental implants?”
Getting a dental implant is oral surgery, which involves the metal “root” being set into the jawbone. Because of this, you’ll need to see more than one doctor to be sure all goes as planned. Keep reading! We’ll show you why more than one doctor is involved.
How Many Doctors Will I Need For Dental Implants?
- Your dentist will be the first to determine if you are a good fit for the surgical procedure. In many cases, since this is a surgical procedure, they’ll take 3D images and X-rays of your jaw and teeth. In addition, they’ll look for warning signs. Two of the things they will watch out for are:
– If you’re a smoker
– If you’re taking medication for osteoporosis
- The next doctor you will see is the periodontist. This doctor specializes in periodontal gum disease and will evaluate you before the procedure. They will determine if you need gum treatment before surgery or not.
- A prosthodontist will also be involved. They are a dentist who specializes in designing and fitting artificial teeth.
- The oral and maxillofacial surgeon is also one of the specialists who will be involved. Their specialty is the treatment of various conditions of the face, mouth, and jaw.
- In some cases, an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist is also included. It’s very important that you enter surgery free from infection that could affect the healing of your implant.
- Consulting with your regular physician is also important. Conditions such as an autoimmune disorder or diabetes can make it harder to heal from surgery.
Still wondering, “how many doctors will I need for dental implants?” In total, you could see up to 6 doctors. These doctors would all work together to make sure your dental implant procedure goes as smoothly as possible.
If dental implants are something you are considering, don’t wait. Schedule a consultation with one of our trusted oral surgeons at East Brainerd Oral Surgery today. We would love to restore your smile. Call us at (423) 296-8210 today.