An impacted wisdom tooth is one of the most common dental problems that patients experience. And no tooth is more commonly impacted than the third molar—also known as the wisdom tooth. For that reason, you need professional help to solve this problem. However, help is near you. For impacted wisdom teeth Chattanooga TN turns to a specialist from East Brainerd Oral Surgery.
When the jaw is too small to accommodate large teeth, they have nowhere to go. In that case, wisdom teeth can become buried inside the jaw, or impacted. In addition, the wisdom tooth is the last tooth to emerge in the mouth. This normally takes place around 20 to 25 years of age. For that reason, it often finds no place to emerge—and therefore remains buried in the bone.
This impacted wisdom tooth could cause a variety of complications.
Complications From Impacted Wisdom Teeth Chattanooga TN Patients Experience
• Pain in the jaw bones as a result of pressure from the buried tooth.
• Food impaction in the area of the tooth, which could lead to gum inflammation.
• Pericoronitis, which is the inflammation of the gums covering the buried tooth.
• When left untreated, an impacted wisdom tooth could cause periodontal problems.
• In addition, an impacted tooth could cause decay in the neighboring tooth (the second molar).
• Numbness of the entire side of the face—especially if the impacted tooth is situated near the nerve canal which runs along the lower jaw.
As you can see, impacted wisdom teeth cannot be taken lightly. Don’t wait—schedule an appointment for a consultation with an impacted wisdom teeth Chattanooga TN specialist today.